RPGamer Round-Up: May 19 – May 26
Welcome to the latest edition of RPGamer’s newest column, where we take a quick look back at some of the articles we’ve posted throughout the week. This article is designed to help give reminders for some interesting editorial content and stories that our less regular visitors might have missed.
The inaugural edition of the JRPGL begins this week, where staff members create all-star JRPG parties to battle in a reader-decided tournament. The tournament itself begins on Monday, but readers can now read all about the teams competing.
Square Enix’s extended celebration of the Final Fantasy series continues, with Final Fantasy XII the latest entry in the series to find a home on the Nintendo Switch. It’s a game that feels right at home on the hybrid system, and the years have been very kind to it.
RPGamer’s Adventure Corner returns to look at some non-RPGs that could prove to be of high interest to our readers. This edition features a couple of Switch releases: point-and-click adventure Deponia and visual novel Steins;Gate Elite.
Nioh 2 has made its first appearance since its E3 2018 announcement. The game is now undergoing a closed alpha, with a new gameplay trailer released that shows the sequel’s customisable player character.
Square Enix held its latest Letter from the Producer livestream for Final Fantasy XIV. Producer Naoki Yoshida provided plenty of deeper details about the changes coming with its upcoming Shadowbringers expansion.
Grinding Gear Games has announced its newest expansion for action RPG Path of Exile. Chris Wilson was kind enough to give RPGamer a preview of the new content in Legion, as well as details about an overhaul of the game’s melee combat.
Sega released some new videos highlighting Judgment‘s English voice cast as Matt Yang King, Crispin Freeman, and Matt Mercer all talk about the characters they are voicing. The company also announced that sales of the game in Japan will be resuming in a couple of months.
NIS America has announced that Utawarerumono Zan is coming west in September. The publisher also released a new trailer for the action RPG spin-off, which showcases a quartet of playable characters.
Additional Selected Stories
- THQ Nordic Acquires Piranha Bytes
- Mutant Year Zero Expansion Announced
- Super Neptunia RPG Limited Edition Announced
- Conglomerate 451 Arrives on Early Access This Week
- God Wars Heading to PC in June
- Kingdom Come: Deliverance Royal Collector’s Edition Gets New Date
- Oninaki Trailer Introduces Kagachi’s Daemons
- Rune Sequel Renamed Rune II, Receives Summer Release Window
- Pathfinder: Kingmaker’s New DLC Goes Beneath the Stolen Lands
- Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 Introduces Its X-Men
- The Ventrue Run Seattle in Bloodlines 2
- Vambrace: Cold Soul Trailer Introduces Its Combat
- Doraemon Story of Seasons Gets New Japanese Trailer
- Steven Universe: Save the Light, OK K.O.! Let’s Play Heroes Physical Bundle Now Available
- Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet Coming to Switch in August, Hollow Realization Switch Version Out Now
- Dauntless Now Available
- Atelier Lulua: The Scion of Arland Launches in the West
- Marenian Tavern Story Released on PC, Xbox One
- Digital Store Weekly Round-Up (May 23, 2019)
RPGCast returns to celebrate its 500th episode. The cast catches up on what they’ve been playing, the major news from the past six weeks, and revisit some of their and listeners’ favourite moments from past episodes.
Sam, Kelley, and Josh join hosts Mike and Phil for the latest episode of RPG Backtrack. The group doesn’t need to go too far back to examine the exploits of the Phantom Thieves in Persona 5.
The latest episode of Q&A Quest goes in a different direction as Power Rangers becomes a subject of topic. There is also discussion on indie games both in Japan and in the west.