Please note that all positions at RPGamer are voluntary and unpaid.
If you’re looking to break into the gaming industry or simply have a strong affinity for the RPG genre and a love for writing and sharing your thoughts, then RPGamer may be the ideal place for you. We are constantly looking to expand and improve upon its core team in a variety of areas and to give our readers and community the opportunity to join our team and help create more RPG-focused content for others to enjoy.
RPGamer is a volunteer-run site and all positions are currently unpaid, but this isn’t to say that working here is without other rewards. We aim to give volunteers the opportunity to establish themselves, letting their content be read by a wide audience, including those in the most renowned video game companies in the industry, and the site always aims to provide feedback to help its writers improve. Volunteering here is an excellent way to break into the gaming world; many of our former staff have gone on to work with development houses and media outlets both in the US and abroad.
- Please note that you must be at least 18 years old to apply. Sorry, no exceptions.
- Applicants will need to be self-motivated and able to work autonomously. If you are unable to work without constant supervision then RPGamer is probably not the place for you.
- No experience is required to join RPGamer, but certain positions do require a writing sample.
We are currently actively looking for new writers to fill out the following roles.
- News Writer is generally considered an “entry-level” position at RPGamer to help writers get a sample of what it like writing on a games site as well as to get used to various policies and the general editing process. There are opportunities for regular News Writers to transition to other areas of the site.
- News Writers are expected to produce two to five articles per week (depending on story availability). Press releases, story sources, and media will often be provided.
- News Writers need to follow RPGamer’s policies regarding speculation, editorialising, rumours, or leaks.
- A writing sample is not required, but will benefit your application (preferably a short write up of a real or fake RPG news story).
Editorial and Features Writers
- We are looking for editorials and features that showcase the writers’ passion for RPGs. We are particularly interested in those looking to focus on specific examples within RPGs or personal stories/experiences to help showcase some of the best elements they have to offer. We are also interested in establishing recurring columns that may focus on certain elements or themes across multiple games/series.
- Editorial Writers are expected to provide roughly one editorial per month. There is large freedom given to the topics discussed, though we prefer to avoid any that rely on sweeping genre generalisations.
- Features Writers are expected to come up with and/or act upon new feature ideas for RPGamer, as well as assist in certain regular features.
- Features Writers are not be expected to create larger-scale features entirely on their own and are actively encouraged to solicit contributions from other members of the site.
- A writing sample is required for these roles (preferably somewhat akin to an RPG editorial or feature).
- Reviewers are expected to produce around one review per month. While the focus of the review team is usually on new releases, reviewers are also welcome to revisit and review older games.
- RPGamer Reviewers are required to complete a game before giving it an official review and will need to be familiar with and adhere to the site’s review score definitions.
- Reviewers must be willing to accept feedback and potentially rewrite passages or adjust scores if asked to by senior members. Any score adjustments are based solely on the review content so as to fit within the scoring definitions.
- A writing sample is required (preferably something akin to an RPG review or editorial).
How to Apply
Interested candidates can apply by filling out the form found in the link/button below. All roles other than News Writer require a relevant writing sample, which it is preferred to have included with your application. Samples do not need to adhere to our guidelines and are used primarily to give an indication of willingness to put in necessary effort for the position and the likely amount of training and guidance needed. You may wish to prepare any samples in advance of filling out the form (links to any previously posted or published content — including personal blogs — are welcome).
If you have any questions regarding any of the roles or RPGamer policies, or feel you could help in a way not listed above, please feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org. We hold interviews as applications are received so don’t delay. We look forward to hearing from you!
Applicants will need to be self-motivated and able to work autonomously. In addition to creating their own content, all staff members are expected to assist others by proof-reading their articles where they can. Successful applicants will also need to adhere to RPGamer’s internal policies with respect to NDAs and accuracy of reporting. You must be willing to accept feedback and make adjustments or rewrites as necessary based on that feedback. Feedback is always given with the goal of improving your content as well as eliminating any errors. No one’s reviews are perfect, even those experienced reviewers who undergo the most rigorous self-proofing endeavours!
While we generally we ask volunteers to try and produce a certain frequency of content, as a volunteer site we understand that this may not be feasible and do not strictly enforce this.
If you have any questions regarding the roles or feel you could help in a way not listed above, please feel free to contact us. We look forward to hearing from you!