RPGamer Round-Up: December 18 – January 1
Welcome to the latest edition of RPGamer’s round-up column, where we look back at some of the articles that we have posted over the previous period. This article is designed to give reminders of some interesting content and stories that our readers might have missed.
Final Fantasy celebrated its 35th anniversary. To help commemorate the occasion, the RPGamer staff have picked out some of their favourite friends and foes from across the series’ storied history.
Square Enix and Live Wire took to the fields for Harvestella. Alex Fuller finds that an ambitious story sticks the landing with a thoroughly engaging gameplay loop for one of this year’s bigger surprises.
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth is now available on PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5. Take a trip down memory lane with Sam Wachter as she reflects on returning to the game for the first time in years.
Path of the Midnight Sun is set to combine narrative adventure and turn-based combat when it hits Steam in January. Alex Fuller was able to check out and report back on a two-hour demo involving one of the game’s early chapters.
Cygnus Enterprises is an action RPG with base building elements currently in Steam Early Access. RPGamer’s Johnathan Stringer was able to interview the developers about the game and future content plans.
The Legend of Heroes: Trails into Reverie has a proper western release date. The game is coming to PC and consoles in North America and Europe in early July.
Sidebar Games has made good on its December launch window for Sports Story. The follow-up to Golf Story is available now digitally on Nintendo Switch.
As many anticipated, the Final Fantasy I-VI Pixel Remasters are coming to additional platforms. Announced on the series’ 35th anniversary, the collections will launch for PS4 and Switch in spring.
Square Enix held its second Letter from the Producer focusing on Final Fantasy XIV’s Patch 6.3 update. The presentation includes the reveal of its release date, trailer, and more.
The fight against Chaos continues into the new year with the final piece of Stranger of Paradise DLC. The add-on sees a Moogle guiding Jack into a new dimension.
NIS America announced western release dates for GrimGrimoire OnceMore. The remaster of the Vanillaware strategy title will arrive in North America and Europe in April.
Other Selected Stories
- Born of Bread Set for Summer
- Bravely Default: Brilliant Lights Ending Service in Japan
- Mortal Shell Released on Switch
- Afterimage Launching in April
- Disgaea 7 Goes Touring the Hinomoto Netherworlds
- Deck-building Roguelike Theseus Protocol Announced
- Metal Dogs Content Update Releasing This Week
- RPG Maker Unite Shows Addons
- Alaloth: Champions of the Four Kingdoms Gets Major Early Access Update
- Kuro no Kiseki II Getting East Asian Steam Release
Trailers and Screenshots
- Digimon World: Next Order Gets PC, Switch Trailer
- One Piece Odyssey Gets Trailer, Demo Announced
- One Piece Odyssey Trailer Highlights Its Systems
- Like a Dragon: Ishin! Gets More Combat Teasers
- Theatrhythm Final Bar Line Gets More Screenshots
- Wizardry Variants Daphne Gets Story Trailer
- Inazuma Eleven: Victory Road of Heroes Gets Gameplay Video
- New Release Round-Up (December 22, 2022)
In the first of the period’s Q&A Quests, we discuss Crisis Core -Final Fantasy VII- Reunion plus the remaster of another game previously trapped on the PlayStation Portable. The second episode features Pokémon and Persona 5, though, due to a blundering host, the first five minutes of its recording are not present.
It’s time to get festive for RPG Backtrack’s last show of the year. Join us along with Wheels for this holiday special, while we talk about two gems from Zeboyd Games: Cthulhu Saves the World and Cthulhu Saves Christmas.