RPGamer Round-Up: May 12 – May 19
Welcome to the latest edition of RPGamer’s newest column, where we take a quick look back at some of the articles we’ve posted throughout the week. This article is designed to help give reminders for some interesting editorial content and stories that our less regular visitors might have missed.
Lucas Tahiruzzaman Syed makes his RPGamer debut. Using the recent marketing of Octopath Traveler as a “throwback” RPG as a jumping point, he examines how innovation has always been a big part of JRPGs through virtually every console generation.
MISTOVER is an upcoming dungeon-crawler from Krafton Game Union coming to PC and Nintendo Switch. Producer James Han was kind enough to answer some of Johnathan Stringer’s questions about the game.
Dark Devotion puts players in the role of a Templar attempting to cleanse the corruption infesting an ancient temple. Charalampos Papadimitriou provides his thoughts on the game’s brand of challenging side-scrolling action.
Outward is an open-world survival RPG now available on PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One. Phil Willis reports back on his attempts to stay alive in the fantasy world of Aurai.
Famitsu has published another preview for Fire Emblem: Three Houses. Plenty of new characters are introduced, with new details provided regarding abilities, battalions, and how players can spend their time outside of combat.
Free-to-play Behemoth-hunting RPG Dauntless has been in open beta on PC for a year. Developer Phoenix Labs has at last provided a full release date for both PC and consoles, which is very soon.
It was initially unclear whether Hideo Baba’s departure was the prelude to further news regarding Square Enix’s Studio Istolia. The company has now confirmed that the studio is no longer in operation and that its planned debut title is cancelled.
Those wanting to return to the “good ol'” days of World of Warcraft‘s state back in 2004 will soon be able to do so. World of Warcraft Classic will be releasing this August.
Bigben Interactive is adding another World of Darkness title to its portfolio. The Council developer Big Bad Wolf is working on a new Vampire: The Masquerade title, with more details expected in August.
Additional Selected Stories
- XSEED Games Brings Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls to PC
- Caravan Stories North American Release Date Set
- SteamWorld Quest Digs Its Way to Steam
- Taiwanese Action RPG Dusk Diver Coming to Consoles Worldwide
- Quarter Onion Games Announces Emberlight
- Moral Anxiety Studio Announces Roadwarden
- God Eater 3 Version 1.30 Released, Future Update Teased
- The Division 2 Adds First Raid
- Trails of Cold Steel III Trailer Showcases New Allies
- Titan Quest Gets New PC Expansion
- Desert Child Getting Limited Run Games Physical Release
- Light Fairytale: Episode 1 Released on Steam
- Druidstone: The Secret of the Menhir Forest Out Now on PC
- Virgo vs. the Zodiac Gets New Trailer, Fall PC Release Window
- SpellForce III: Soul Harvest Rounds Up the Dark Elves
- Bloodlines 2 Debuts the Toreador
- D3 Publisher Announces New Omega Labyrinth Game, Comes in Two Versions
- Yo-kai Watch 4 Slightly Delayed in Japan
- Rune Factory 4 Special Opening Movie Released
- Kickstarter Check-In: Transformice Adventures, Hegemone Pass
- Digital Store Weekly Round-Up (May 16, 2019)
In the latest Q&A quest, the hosts decide which of Final Fantasy VIII or IX they’d most want to see a remake of. There is also discussion on the timing of DLC releases.