RPGamer Round-Up: March 21 – March 28
Welcome to the latest edition of RPGamer’s round-up column, where we take a look back at some of the articles that we have posted over the previous week. This article is designed to give reminders of some interesting content and stories that our readers might have missed.
Everhood doesn’t rein back on the similarities shared by other well-known indie titles. Despite that, Gabriele Malacasa finds the game delivers on its promise of being an unconventional RPG where players better “expect the unexpected.”
The goddesses are back for another spin-off and Alex Fuller reports back on how this one stands up. Neptunia Virtual Stars sees them getting involved with the creation of content with the help of numerous VTubers.
In a world of 1s and 0s, where the virtual is sold at a premium while the mundane is dirt-cheap, we all need something real. Something like professional wrestling. At least, that’s what one game producer thought, and who is Michael Baker to argue with a technical knock-out?
Four Quarters’ nifty rogue-lite RPG is a fascinating little title with a lot hiding under the surface. Zack Webster discovers that though it doesn’t all quite come together, it’s an interesting game well worth checking out.
When considering new battle systems, it’s safe to say that finding a good one is comforting. In his RPGamer debut, Jason McFadden examines why finding a great battle system requires bravely leaving one’s comfortable starting town and venturing on a heroic quest into the unknown.
Sam Wachter has been playing a lot of games from her backlog while trying not to buy too many new ones. Has she been succeeding on the challenges she set for herself? Let’s see how she did during the first three months of 2021.
- Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade Gets Extended Features Trailer
- Final Fantasy VIII Remastered Released on iOS, Android
- Final Fantasy XI Mobile Cancelled
A trio of Final Fantasy titles appear in the news this week. Final Fantasy VII Remake’s PS5 version gets a new feature-detailing trailer, Final Fantasy VIII arrives on mobile, and Square Enix and Nexon’s planned Final Fantasy XI mobile title is no more.
Mistwalker released some new videos focusing on Fantasian’s music and its composer Nobuo Uematsu. The company also provided some new details about the game and its release.
Astria Ascending is coming to PC and consoles later this year. The game is a reimagining of mobile title Zodiac: Orcanon Odyssey and features contributions from a number of JRPG veterans.
Google Stadia is getting another batch of RPGs. Four Nihon Falcom RPGs are on their way courtesy of NIS America, three of them arriving very soon.
Anshar Studios revealed a PC release date for Gamedec. In addition, a new demo is now available for the cyberpunk RPG.
Monster Harvest has some release dates. The mixture of action RPG, farming sim, and monster collection will launch for PC and Switch in May, with PlayStation 4 and Xbox One releases following in June.
A new character trailer is now available for Cris Tales. The video comes with the reveal of the game’s voice cast ahead of its launch in July.
RPGamer’s ad hoc Kickstarter Check-In feature returns for a look at an ongoing crowdfunding campaign. This edition features Sean Weech’s open-world permadeath RPG Holomento.
Other Selected Stories
- Experience Inc. Announces New Dungeon Crawler
- Don’t Give Up: A Cynical Tale Heading to Switch
- Shachibato! Launching on Steam Next Week
- Gotham Knights Pushed to 2022
- Magic: Legends Open Beta Now Available
- Fishing RPG Moonglow Bay Announced
- Under the Island Announced
- Action Roguelike Loot River Announced
- Horror RPG Sunshine Manor Launching This Fall
- THQ Nordic Announces New Studio, Working on Strategy RPG
- Fallout 76 Gets 2021 Roadmap
- Alder Forge Coming to Steam Early Access
- Octopath Traveler Available on Xbox One
- Yakuza 6: The Song of Life Reaches PC, Xbox One
- Biomutant Receives Combat Trailer
- Kena: Bridge of Spirits Gets New Trailer
- Monster Hunter Rises on Switch
- Story of Seasons: Pioneers of Olive Town Out Now on Switch
- Maglam Lord Releases with Three New Character Trailers
- New Release Round-Up (March 25, 2021)
This week in Q&A Quest, we talk more Persona 5 Royal and Dragon Quest VII as the mad dash towards Monster Hunter Rise continues. We also discuss the thought process behind reviewing games.
For anyone who couldn’t get enough job hats, Square Enix delivers with a sequel to its curiously-named “Not Final Fantasy” for the 3DS. Join us along with guests Cassandra Ramos and Alex Fuller as we dive into Bravely Second: End Layer.