RPGamer Round-Up: June 30 – July 7
Welcome to the latest edition of RPGamer’s round-up column, where we take a quick look back at some of the articles we’ve posted throughout the week. This article is designed to help give reminders of some interesting editorial content and stories that our less regular visitors might have missed.
Editorial Content and Features
Jervon Perkins makes his RPGamer feature debut by talking about his recent replay of Xenosaga. A decade after first playing the games, the replay gives him the opportunity to learn an important lesson about self-esteem and self-confidence.
While Kiryu may no longer be roaming the seedy streets of Kamurocho, that doesn’t mean that the fun has to stop. Joshua Carpenter explores the familiar red-light district through the eyes of a private detective in Judgment.
Shadows of Adam is a throwback RPG that recently made its console debut on Nintendo Switch. Pascal Tekaia examines how well the game combines its retro influences with some more modern conveniences.
Square Enix announced at E3 that SaGa: Scarlet Grace will be making its way west. RPGamer’s man in Japan Michael Baker used the opportunity to let readers know what to expect.
#JRPGJuly is well underway as staff members and readers use the opportunity to play JRPGs both new and old. Our introduction post details what the staff is planning on playing during the month.
Whatcha Playing is also back to round up the games the staff has been playing in the previous month. There were a couple of different forms of Dragon Quest being played while Call of Cthulhu, Phantom Dust, and Cadence of Hyrule all vied for staff gaming time.
Spike Chunsoft had plenty to offer at its Anime Expo panel. In addition to showing a new Crystar trailer, the publisher announced western releases for Conception Plus and two Robotics;Notes titles.
NIS America is bringing the remake of the first two Langrisser games to North America and Europe early next year. A limited edition has also been announced and is available to pre-order now.
During this weekend’s Anime Expo, Bandai Namco announced that both Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth games are coming to PC and Switch. The two titles will be released as a Complete Edition bundle in October.
- Fire Emblem: Three Houses Expansion Pass Announced
- Nintendo Showcases Fire Emblem: Three Houses’ Black Eagles
Nintendo has announced an Expansion Pass for Fire Emblem: Three Houses, which grants a costume for the main protagonist on launch, as well as access to three additional waves of post-release DLC. A new trailer focusing on the Black Eagles house was also released.
The newest Bokujō Monogatari title is a remake of a pair of GBA games. Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town is coming to Switch in Japan in October, with XSEED Games confirming that it will release it in North America.
WayForward Technologies has announced that its Kunio-kun spinoff River City Girls will be released in September. Kyoko and Misako will this time get the chance to brawl their way through enemies and rescue their boyfriends.
- Code Vein Opening Movie Released, Revenant Bundle Announced
- Code Vein Behind the Scenes Video Details Partners
Bandai Namco showed off the Ufotable-produced opening cinematic for Code Vein at Anime Expo as well as announcing a limited Revenant Bundle for North America. The company also released a new behind the scenes video focusing on the game’s NPC partner characters.
Additional Selected Stories
- Warsaw Releasing for PC in September
- Death end re;Quest 2 Announced
- Final Fantasy XIV Live-Action TV Show in the Works
- GreedFall Release Date Revealed
- Transistor Physical Edition Pre-Orders Begin Friday
- Black Desert Lanching for PlayStation 4 in August
- Shenmue III Steam Backer Replacement Options Detailed
- Children of Morta Signature Edition Detailed
- Gloomhaven Goes Digital on Steam Early Access
- Iratus: Lord of the Dead Releasing on Steam Early Access Later This Month
- Smartphone Title Utawarerumono: Lost Flag Revealed
- Nintendo Shows Daemon X Machina’s Feedback-Driven Changes
- Ann Gets Persona 5 Royal Trailer Treatment
- The Surge 2 Walks Through a Gameplay Demo
- Trails of Cold Steel III Trailer Shows Combat Options
- Barioth and Banbaro Meet in Iceborne
- Ni no Kuni Movie Gets Further Trailer
- Claptrap Introduces Pandora’s Wildlife Ahead of Borderlands 3
- Killsquad Debuts Its Aggressive Support Class
- Digital Store Weekly Round-Up (July 4, 2019)
There’s just the one podcast this week as the RPG Cast takes a break with Chris and Anna Marie out of town. The latest Q&A Quest features discussion on the combat in 3D Legend of Zelda games as well as what games the hosts would like to have adapted into TV Shows.