RPGamer Round-Up: June 14 – June 21
Welcome to the latest edition of RPGamer’s round-up column, where we take a look back at some of the articles that we have posted over the previous week. This article is designed to help give reminders of some interesting content and stories that our less regular visitors might have missed.
Pong Quest is a twist on the classic game Pong with a dungeon crawler attached. Sam Wachter considers the question: how much Pong can you handle before you can’t Pong no more?
Light Fairytale Episode 1 might one day be the mediocre beginning of an otherwise good RPG, but it’s hard to say at this point. Matt Masem finds that with well under five hours of gameplay, it’s light on content in almost every aspect that counts.
We’re nearing the height of summer, and there’s nowhere to go. Thankfully, a studio named Chibig is willing to provide a seasonal outlet for our seaside dreams with Summer in Mara and Michael Baker provided his thoughts on Koa’s adventures.
Have you ever wanted to know what it’s like to be a game director and manage a team? Sam Wachter checks out Double Blit Games’ Game Director Story, which puts you in the shoes of a budding game studio director.
Cris Tales is a turn-based, time-manipulation RPG with heavy influences from classic JRPGs that has a lot to recommend it. Modus Games and Dreams Uncorporated gave Alex Fuller a detailed look of roughly three-to-four hours of content in a preview demonstration.
Trent Gleason returns for a new edition of JRPG Study Time. This time, he take a look at one of the genre’s most accomplished recent titles, Persona 5 Royal.
Cyberpunk 2077 is getting delayed once more as bugs and other things require additional time to iron out. The game is now set for November, right before the holiday rush.
Larian Studios’ Swen Vincke opened up the D&D Live 2020 event with some Baldur’s Gate III gameplay. The 90-minute stream showed some of the upgrades made to the game since its last stream in February.
Guerrilla Games is providing another look at the trailer for Horizon Forbidden West, this time with informational narration by Game Director Mathijs de Jonge. The game has been confirmed for a release in 2021.
Today marks the launch of the first expansion for Pokémon Sword and Shield. The Pokémon Company used the day to also reveal some other non-RPG titles, including New Pokémon Snap.
Amazon Game Studios’ MMORPG New World is launching in August. The company revealed that a closed beta will start a month before launch, with sign-ups available now.
Additional Selected Stories
- Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Infinite Combate to Launch in August
- Medabots Classics Plus Coming to Switch in Japan
- Subject 2923 DLC Announced for Remnant: From the Ashes
- Haven Receives New Gameplay Footage
- Keylocker Jams Out to Gameplay Video
- Take a Tour of No Straight Roads’ Vinyl City
- Doors of Insanity Announced
- Gestalt: Steam & Cinder Gets Reveal Trailer
- Werewolf: The Apocalypse – Heart of the Forest Announced
- Wolfstride Announced with Teaser Trailer
- Mercenaries Saga Chronicles Physical Reprint Available on Video Games Plus
- Cyberpunk RPG Cloudpunk Getting Physical Editions
- Gameplay Showcase Arrives for Almighty: Kill Your Gods
- Operencia: The Stolen Sun Coming to VR
- Slay the Spire Now Out for iOS
- Shoujo Jigoku no Doku Musume Gets More Details
- New Scarlet Nexus Footage Released
- Star Renegades Gets New Gameplay Footage, Trailer
- Alaloth: Champions of the Four Kingdoms Gets Gameplay Footage
- Elden: Path of the Forgotten Coming to PC, Switch
- The Four Relics of Rivellon Added to Divinity: Original Sin II
- Eldest Souls Gets Gameplay Trailer
- Sword Art Online: Alicization Lycoris Trailer Introduces Characters
- New Solasta: Crown of the Magister Trailer Released
- New RPG Maker MZ Trailer Shows Various Editing Modes
- New Trailer Shows Gameplay for The Last Spell
- Digital Store Weekly Round-Up (June 18, 2020)
This week, the Q&A Quest hosts discuss The Outer Worlds. There is also chat about the recent PlayStation 5 reveal.
Chris is joined this week by Kelley, Peter, and Alex for a new RPG Cast. The group updates us on what they’ve been playing, including some Pokémon-related tooth-brushing as well as the latest RPG news.