RPGamer Round-Up: January 26 – February 2
Welcome to the latest edition of RPGamer’s round-up column, where we take a look back at some of the articles that we have posted over the previous week. This article is designed to help give reminders of some interesting content and stories that our less regular visitors might have missed.
2019 is in the books after giving us another year full to the brim with top-quality RPGs. After taking a few weeks to assess everything and tally up the votes, the RPGamer staff is ready to share our Best of 2019 Awards. Please enjoy.
While it’s a bit later than usual, the RPGamer staff have decided to check in on last year’s resolutions. Did they make their 2019 goals? Let’s see what the staff have in store for 2020.
Fabraz and UmaikiGames’ Skellboy is now available on Nintendo Switch. Alex Fuller finds that the game offers an enjoyable experience with a neat blending of 2D and 3D, even if the gameplay doesn’t venture far from the adventure RPG template.
RPGamer’s man in Japan, Michael Baker, dives back into his backlog for another import review. This time he takes a look at one of developer Quintet’s final titles, Magical Houshin on the Game Boy Advance.
Hero Must Die. Again is getting an English release this year. Michael Baker gives us an idea of what to expect by providing his impression of the Japanese PlayStation Vita release.
“Come and explore Tesla’s floating city,” they said. “It’ll be fun,” they said. Pascal Tekaia sets sail in the Teslapunk thriller Close to the Sun.
The Pokémon Home service is set to launch in February 2020. Nintendo and The Pokémon Company provided details on what users will be able to do with it.
A brand new trailer for the Final Fantasy VII Remake introduces the game’s new theme song. Some important characters make their first appearances in the video, as does the Honeybee Inn.
The Torchlight Frontiers title is gone and Torchlight III has emerged. Perfect World Entertainment and Echtra Games hope to retain the classic Torchlight feeling that brought fans into the series.
CD Projekt RED’s Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales received an unexpected release on Nintendo Switch. The single-player RPG takes the Gwent card game and uses it to tell the story of Queen Meve’s quest to reclaim her throne.
Phantasy Star Online 2’s closed beta with take place at the end of next week. Those who haven’t done so yet can sign up through the Xbox Insider Hub app.
The Outer Worlds will be making the trip to Nintendo Switch in early March. The game will be available to purchase digitally and at retail, though the latter option will only supply a download code.
Nihon Falcom has provided release dates for the Legend of Heroes’ Crossbell Saga on PlayStation 4. The developer also revealed some extra features coming to the new versions of the games.
Additional Selected Stories
- Code Vein Hellfire Knight DLC Now Available
- Disco Elysium Gets Hardcore
- Edge of Eternity Adds Prologue Chapter to Early Access
- Iron Danger Releasing in March
- Morgana Gives Fifth Travel Report on Persona 5 Scramble
- Persona 5 Royal Gets New English Trailer
- Disgaea 1 Complete Now Available on iOS, Android
- Monster Hunter Riders Announced for iOS, Android in Japan
- Turn-Based RPG Bonfire Receives Demo
- Dungeon Defenders: Awakened Hits Early Access in February
- Deck13 to Publish Chained Echoes
- Conglomerate 451 Full Launch Dated
- Underhero Heading to Consoles
- More Death end re;Quest 2 Gameplay Footage Released
- Legend of the Tetrarchs Getting Physical Release
- Pillars of Eternity II Now Available for PS4 and Xbox One
- Azur Lane: Crosswave Gets New Mode, Character Screenshots
- More Katana Kami Information and Screenshots Revealed
- Digital Store Weekly Round-Up (January 30, 2020)
After last week’s special awards episode, the RPGCast returns to its usual format. Chris, Alex, Peter, and Johnathan discuss what they’ve been playing and all the RPG news from the last couple of weeks.
This week’s Q&A Quest features discussion on some bad endings in RPGs. The hosts also discuss some of their favorite indie games.
- Chapter 14 – The Hunt: Stories from Monster Hunter
- Chapter 15 – The Hunt: Stories from Monster Hunter
There’s a bit of catch up on RPGamer’s Monster Hunter-focused podcast with two episodes recorded over the holiday period. Phil Willis and Michael Apps discuss their latest adventures in the series.