The demo for Trials of Mana is now available worldwide and lets players check out the early portion of the game. Meanwhile, Square Enix released new trailers and some additional details.
RPGamer Round-Up: March 15 – March 22
Welcome to the latest edition of RPGamer’s round-up column, where we take a look back at some of the articles that we have posted over the previous week. This article is designed to help give reminders of some interesting content and stories that our less regular visitors might have missed.
The Phantom Thieves are back for more in Persona 5 Royal at the end of the month. Though a review wasn’t able to be completed in time, Alex Fuller provides plenty of thoughts from the first half of the game.
A follow-up tactical game from the developers of Mutant Year Zero arrives in the form of Corruption 2029. Johnathan Stringer finds that it unfortunately lacks the interesting story elements and charm of the previous title.
Michael Apps was able to check out a Trials of Mana demo back at PAX East. He is now able to share his thoughts on what he saw.
Anna Marie Privitere provides another Adventure Corner with Demetrios – The BIG Cynical Adventure. A game that’s designed around failing shouldn’t be interesting, and yet this one manages to pull it off with style.
The role-playing genre has come a long way in the past thirty years, and yet it’s always interesting to look back at games of yore and see what they did right, what they did wrong, and what they could have done better. Michael Baker takes a look at the first Mana game, Final Fantasy Adventure, while Sam Wachter looks at the original Dragon Quest.
Nintendo gave a new Indie World presentation today, during which it showcased a number of indie titles coming to Nintendo Switch in the coming months. Titles of interest to us include Blue Fire, Baldo, Summer in Mara, The Good Life, Eldest Souls, and Exit the Gungeon.
- Trials of Mana Gets New Japanese Trailer, Demo, Classes
- Trials of Mana Demo Now Available, English Trailer Released
A new Yo-kai Watch spin-off is coming to Japan this summer. Yo-kai Watch Jam: Yo-kai Academy Y features characters who can transform into Yo-kai Heroes.
- Nippon Ichi Announces Shoujo Jigoku no Doku Musume
- Shoujo Jigoku no Doku Musume Gets New Info, Trailer
Nippon Ichi has announced a new action RPG about purifying hell. Shoujo Jigoku no Doku Musume is due out in Japan in June for PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch.
The Steam Game Festival: Spring Edition gives players the chance to check out demos of many of the indie titles that were due to be shown at GDC before it was cancelled. The event ends Monday, so there’s still a small amount of time to check it out.
- Mystiqa Launching for PC in September; Kickstarter for Music, Switch Version
- Kickstarter Check-In: Sea of Stars
A couple of Kickstarter campaigns came to our attention this week. The first looks at getting music and a Switch version for top-down action RPG Mystiqa, while the second is a retro-inspired RPG prequel title to 2018’s The Messenger.
Additional Selected Stories
- Planet Stronghold 2 Officially Released
- Developers Discuss Creation of Final Fantasy VII Remake
- Death end re;Quest 2 Coming to PS4 and PC
- Cygames Announces Shadowverse: Champions Battle
- Sin Slayers Coming to Switch
- Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town European Release Date Announced
- New Character and Deluxe Editions Announced for Fairy Tail
- Dragon Quest X Updated All in One Package Heading to Japan
- Yomi wo Saku Hana Heading for Summer Release in Japan
- Borderlands 3 DLC Gets Ready for a Wedding
- Pillars of Dust Out Now
- Genshin Impact Previews Opening Cinematic
- Digital Store Weekly Round-Up (March 19, 2020)
Two of the hosts for Q&A Quest got to try out Trials of Mana back at PAX West and PAX East. They discuss their impressions of how the remake is shaping up.
Sam Wachter joins the RPG Cast, automatically granting it an explicit rating. Alex, Kelley, and Peter also join Chris and Anna Marie to talk about some Persona 5 Royal and Animal Crossing as well as some other games they’ve been playing, and all the latest RPG news.