RPGamer Round-Up: June 28 – July 5
Welcome to the latest edition of RPGamer’s round-up column, where we take a look back at some of the articles that we have posted over the previous week. This article is designed to help give reminders of some interesting content and stories that our less regular visitors might have missed.
Echodog Games’ first title is a short, nuanced look at community, travel, and the difficulties of communication. Zach Welhouse reports that the card-based conversation system is easy to pick up, but making everybody happy is a different story.
Taking inspiration from the RPGs of old, Pillars of Dust takes the retro style and adds a few quality-of-life improvements to the mix with reduced grinding and balanced combat mechanics. Elmon Dean Todd finds out whether the formula works for a modern audience.
Ys: Memories of Celceta’s PlayStation 4 re-release is the same quality game we’ve seen on other platforms. In a video version of last week’s written review, Pascal Tekaia determines that’s not a bad thing, though those looking for new bells and whistles may not find what they’re seeking.
- The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III Switch Deep Look
- The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III Switch Video Look
Trails of Cold Steel III gives RPGamers their first chance to play the series on Nintendo Switch. Anna Marie Privitere finds out how the Switch version of the game holds up in comparison to its original PS4 release.
God of War isn’t an RPG, but it takes a lot of elements from the genre, especially story development. Jervon Perkins played through it as an RPGamer and found himself analyzing his own relationship with his estranged father.
Adventure Corner returns to provide some RPGamer staff members’ thoughts on games that don’t fall under our usual coverage. This week Alex Fuller took a look at Death Come True, while Erik van Asselt provided his thoughts on The Haunted Island, a Frog Detective Game.
Romancing SaGa Re;univerSe combines the franchise’s unique gameplay systems with a modern gacha experience. Trent Gleason looks to see how it fares in a crowded field of mobile RPGs.
Sony and Guerrilla Games have revealed the PC release date for Horizon Zero Dawn. The action RPG will launch on Steam and the Epic Games Store next month.
Square Enix and People Can Fly held the second Broadcast presentation for Outriders. This episode focused on the campaign, the Pyromancer class, and the music.
RPG Maker MV is finally making its way to consoles in the west. The RPG creation suite will launch on PS4 and Switch in a couple of months.
After a delay, Square Enix has announced the release date for Final Fantasy XIV’s next major patch. Patch 5.3, Reflections in Crystal, will arrive in just over a month, with producer and director Naoki Yoshida sharing a message with players.
The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet of Chaos is set to launch on PC at the end of August. A new trailer introduces the game’s seven party members.
Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 will be available very soon. A new trailer reveals that a total of seven characters will be playable, including some familiar faces from the first game.
Rhythm-based action adventure No Straight Roads is arriving on PC and consoles this August. Those wishing to try it out can now download a demo on the Epic Games Store.
RPGamer’s ad hoc Kickstarter Check-In feature returns for a look at an ongoing crowdfunding campaign. Arcadia Fallen is a hybrid visual novel/RPG, with developer Galdra Studios looking to add English voice acting.
Additional Selected Stories
- Hellpoint Launching at End of July
- Anima: Song from the Abyss Announced
- Second Quarterly Development Update Published for Diablo IV
- New Virgo Versus the Zodiac Demo Released
- Monster Hunter World: Iceborne Title Update 4 Finds New Release Date
- Cyberpunk RPG Dex Hacking Its Way to Switch
- UnderMine to Fully Launch in August
- MMORPG Bless Unleashed Coming to PC
- The Waylanders Receives Early Access Roadmap
- Divinity: Original Sin II Coming to iPad
- Ultimate ADOM: Caverns of Chaos Releasing Later This Year
- New King’s Bounty II Dev Diary Focuses on Combat
- The Revenant Prince Provides New Gameplay Video
- KonoSuba Plus Opening Movie Released
- New Trailer Introduces Xuan-Yuan Sword VII’s Heroines
- Sword Art Online: Alicization Lycoris Gets Combat Trailer
- Trails of Cold Steel III Out Now on Switch
- Mobile RPG SINoALICE Available Now
- Digital Store Weekly Round-Up (July 2, 2020)
This week in Q&A Quest, the hosts discuss a variety of RPG related topics. They also answer many hard hitting listener questions.
The RPG Cast has dived head first into #JRPGJuly in our now playing, but since the new month has rolled over, that also means new bugs and fish to catch in Animal Crossing as well. We’ve also got a slew of editorial content to discuss and a smattering of news.