RPGamer Round-Up: October 11 – October 18
Welcome to the latest edition of RPGamer’s round-up column, where we take a look back at some of the articles that we have posted over the previous week. This article is designed to give reminders of some interesting content and stories that our less regular visitors might have missed.
Our new Where to Start series gets a second entry looking at one of the forefathers of the genre. Whether you’re a newcomer, returning fan, or veteran, there are Dragon Quest titles for you!
Fantasy of Expedition combines roguelike, RPG, real-time strategy, and idle game mechanics into a new adventure. Wiliam Brownfield sat down to see just how well this combination works.
A brand new Yakuza game — complete with new protagonist, location, and combat — hits North America and Europe next month. Alex Fuller was given the opportunity to check out what lies in store in Yokohama’s Isezaki Ijincho district.
This Adventure Corner will have you and your animal companion rolling around in the grass and having the best time. Get ready to move to Rainbow Bay, the most dog-friendly town in the world, as Sam Wachter checks out the dog training and dating simulator, Best Friend Forever.
Koei Tecmo has announced the western release dates and a limited edition for Atelier Ryza 2. The heroine returns on PC, Switch, PS4, and PS5 in January.
Developer NeocoreGames has announced a turn-based tactical RPG. King Arthur: Knight’s Tale puts players in the role of Sir Mordred as he attempts to strike down King Arthur for good.
A trio of upcoming RPGs have been pushed back into next year. Cris Tales, Digimon Survive, and Gamedec will all now make their debuts in 2021.
Peachleaf Pirates is a relaxing RPG that takes place on an island ripe and ready to be explored. The game, featuring point-and-click and farming simulation elements, is heading to PC via Steam in 2021.
Xuan-Yuan Sword VII now has a release date. The game will come to PC worldwide and PS4 in Asia at the end of this month, with Japanese and western PS4 releases and an Xbox One version to follow later.
RPGamer’s ad hoc Kickstarter Check-In feature returns for a look at two ongoing crowdfunding campaigns. This edition features Pixel Sprout Studios’ Sun Haven, as well as Something Awesome Games’ Patagon: The Forbidden Island.
Additional Selected Stories
- Cyberpunk 2077’s Latest Night City Wire Shows Vehicles and Fashion
- Sega Streams Yakuza: Like a Dragon Gameplay
- Assassin’s Creed Valhalla Gets New Footage
- Oceanhorn 2 Launching for Switch This Month
- Woodsalt Pushed Back to December
- Final Fantasy VII, VIII Physical Editions Releasing in Europe
- Citizens Unite! Earth x Space Releasing in January
- Borderlands 3 Next-Gen Versions to Launch Alongside Consoles
- The Magister Switch Version Announced
- Rune II Releasing on Steam Next Month
- XCOM 2 Heading to iOS in November
- Witch Spring 3 Re:Fine Launching in December in Japan
- Yo-kai Watch Jam: Yo-kai Academy Y Hitting PS4 in Japan at End of October
- Scarlet Nexus Dev Diary Discusses Setting
- Cloudpunk Out Now on Consoles
- Tears of Avia Launches on PC, Xbox One
- Crown Trick Out Now on PC, Switch
- Third Story Trailer for Octopath Traveler: Champions of the Continent Released
- Digital Store Weekly Round-Up (October 15, 2020)
This week Matt Masem joins the show to fill in for the absent Mr. Baker. The gang also discusses the Early Access release of Baldur’s Gate III.
Anna Marie, Chris, and Kelley are joined by Robert and newcomer Corey to discuss this week’s news. A heated debate about free-to-play mechanics breaks out as the crew is split on Genshin Impact and other mobile titles while Chris eats chocolate-covered almonds. Three weeks to go until Extra Life!