RPGamer Round-Up: July 26 – August 2
Welcome to the latest edition of RPGamer’s round-up column, where we take a look back at some of the articles that we have posted over the previous week. This article is designed to help give reminders of some interesting content and stories that our less regular visitors might have missed.
The Atelier series is now a sprawling empire of over thirty titles. Whether you’re totally new to the series or returning from the PS2 era, we answer the ever-important question of a well-established series: where to start!
The Paper Mario series has strayed from its more classic roots. Thankfully, there’s enough of a solid base to crease out a niche between action-platformer and RPG.
Nippon Ichi Software’s void tRrLM(); //Void Terrarium sees players controlling a helper robot trying to help a girl survive a hostile world. Though it tries to add a few interesting elements to the roguelike formula, they end up buried under the nature of the gameplay.
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Remastered Edition is releasing in just under a month. Square Enix provided plenty of details on what new and returning players can expect, including an interview with director Ryoma Araki.
#JRPGJuly is completed and we hope everyone has been able to enjoy all of the JRPGs they have chosen to play. We check in for one final time on how our staff progressed through their selected games.
Rabbit & Bear Studios’ Kickstarter crowdfunding campaign for Eiyuden Chronicle, a spiritual successor to Suikoden, has begun. The game has already left its initial goal in the dust and is currently charging through its stretch goals.
Phantasy Star Online 2 is coming to Steam next week along with the launch of its Episode 4 story content. The Steam release will also let western RPGamers in certain countries outside of North America play the game.
Koei Tecmo and Gust provided details and media for Atelier Ryza 2. The returning heroine will have some new skills at her disposal this winter, including swimming.
Western RPGamers are getting another classic Japanese ‘anti-RPG’ this year. Onion Games’ Nintendo Switch version of Moon: Remix RPG Adventure will release in August.
Stardew Valley is finally getting physical editions. The editions are now available to preorder from Fangamer, with a scheduled launch in November.
RPGamer’s ad hoc Kickstarter Check-In feature returns for a look at an ongoing crowdfunding campaign. Impact Gameworks’ Puzzle Explorers: A Tangledeep Story will feature a mixture of falling block puzzle mechanics and active time combat.
Additional Selected Stories
- Earthlock 2 Officially Announced
- Disgaea 4 Complete+ Heading to PC
- Nexomon: Extinction Launching in August
- Azur Lane: Crosswave DLC Coming This Fall
- Zeboyd Games Teases This Way Madness Lies
- Path of Exile Coming to Mac in September
- Hajimari no Kiseki Opening Movie Released; More Characters, Side Content Shown
- The Tengu’s Disciple DLC Comes to Nioh 2
- Artificer: Science of Magic Pushed to September
- Coven and Labyrinth of Galleria Gets New Japanese Release Date
- Almighty: Kill Your Gods Introduces Thunderhead Guardians
- Cardaclysm Launching on Early Access
- Dual Gear Arrives on Steam Early Access
- Monster Rancher 2 Remaster Gets New Trailer
- Othercide Talks Bosses in New Trailer
- Othercide Out Now
- Yakuza Kiwami 2 Out Now on Xbox One
- Fairy Tail Out Now
- Digital Store Weekly Round-Up (July 30, 2020)
This week in Q&A Quest the hosts discuss some recent RPG news. They also go into a spoiler-filled discussion of Final Fantasy VII Remake towards the end of the show.
In this week’s RPG Cast we learn not to disturb Kelley’s special demon slaying time, get too attached to dogs in games, or disturb the Harvest Moon plushie announcement. We also get your suggestions for series that need to be resurrected.