Autumn has arrived and with it comes a celebration of the things that bring about closure. No matter the culture, part of the world, or the name of the event - be it Halloween, Samhain, All Hallow's Eve, Dia de los Muertos, or what have you - the celebration of natural endings conjures up the skills of the imagination. This year RPGamer would like to call on everyone that has ever gone to out in public as a Mario Brother, a Mithra, Firiona, Mr. or Mrs. Pac Man, or any other videogame character under the sun.
Why, you ask?
Because playing in the role of another person is what RPGs are all about! And what better time to have a costume contest than during the time of year when all the best things about your imagination are practically being begged into action? Besides, unlike other costume contests, this one has rather a unique twist; rather than judge the contest simply on the merit and detail of the costume itself - although that will certainly be taken into consideration - we will be looking for the most in-character scenario that you can get yourself into.
To give a brief, if simple example: You put together a Super Mario costume, get yourself a wooden mallet, and snap a picture of yourself in the process of bashing your pet turtle! Voila! Mario as he was meant to be! Your entry can be as simple as a picture (saved in .jpg format, please) or as complex as capturing an entire LARP (live-action roleplay) on video! As long as you're in a costume that's identifiable as a videogame character, you're in the running to win a prize!
To enter, simply send your picture or video as an attachment to email@example.com by November 20th with "Another World" as the email subject. Make sure that your email provides us with your name, age, and physical mailing address. Winners will be chosen by a panel of the staff of RPGamer. Winners and honorable mentions will be forwarded to RPGamer's Fan Art column, and provided there is room, they will be posted there to show off the awesome work of the contest entrants. Prizes will be determined and posted shortly, so make sure to check back!
Official Contest Rules:
- All entries must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59 PM PDT on Monday, November 20th, 2006. Limit of one entry per person; repeat entries will be disqualified.
- Contest begins Friday, October 20th, 2006 and continues until Monday, November 20th, 2006 at 11:59 PM PDT. The winners will be revealed on http://www.rpgamer.com no later than 8:00 PM PDT on Wednesday, November 22nd, 2006. Chances of winning depend upon the number of contest entries.
- The winners will be notified via email prior to the public announcement. The winners will not be required to reply to the email message, but should the email be returned, the prize will be reawarded. Except where prohibited, by accepting said prizes, the winners consent to the use of their names for advertising and promotional purposes without additional compensation. Allow 1-2 weeks for delivery of the prizes. All prizes will be awarded. No cash or other substitution for prizes except, at the option of RPGamer, for a prize of equal or greater value. If the prizes are won by minors, they will be awarded to their parents or legal guardians.
- RPGamer's decisions in all respects relative to the Contest are final. By entering, you agree to be bound by these Official Rules. The Contest is offered by RPGamer. RPGamer is not responsible for incomplete, illegible, late, or misdirected email. By participating and/or winning a prize, the winner releases RPGamer and its employees and sponsors from any and all liability with respect to any prize. RPGamer reserves the right to cancel or modify the Contest in cases of fraud or prize supply limits, as determined by RPGamer in its sole discretion. RPGamer reserves the right to disqualify any winner, as determined by RPGamer in its sole discretion.
- Information submitted for this Contest, such as your Name, Email Address, or Physical Address will be used exclusively for the purpose of this Contest. RPGamer does not sell, loan, or share this information with third parties or use it for its own promotion. Your privacy is important to us.
- The Contest is open to all readers of RPGamer except employees of RPGamer and their immediate families.