Josh - 11:43 EST
So going to Applebee's every Monday is apparently -the- thing to do around here. It was ok, but...eh. Anyway, I'm just annoyed that my birthday is on Wednesday and that I have absolutely no way to celebrate other than working on a paper. Yargh!
Yeah, like I'm not a math major. :P
I just got Tales of Phantasia for GBA this morning in the post, after
spending only £9 on Ebay! Aah, Ebay, the love of my life and the bane to my
wallet. Anyway, I popped it into my DS, and start playing for an hour before
getting to the first save point. I'm an obssesive gamer, meaning I have to
collect all the items and talk to everyone I possibly can before moving onto
to the next area. Well, I don't have to but I like to. So then, I stand of
the 'Memory Glyph' and press Save. Then chose the slot and pressed ok. What
happens? The "Saving. please do not......" screen comes up and the game
freezes. I left it for an hour and it still had not budged. Tried it 6 times
on my DS, my old GBA and my bro's GBSP. Didn't work. When I asked the guy
who I bought it off via an email, he said he was about to go on a 2 week
holiday in the Bahamas.
So my question is, have you ever got a game that you really looked forward
to, and then Fate conspires to stop you enjoying it?
- Genjuu is off school for 3.3548387096774193584.... months. I think thats
one of those irrational numbers. I think I'll ask Matt about that.
I'd say something about Unlimited: Saga, but...that's pretty much common knowledge by now.
Silent Hill 4 also ranks up there. After loving the first 3 installments, I was psyched to hear about a fourth. I got it, started playing, got used to the strange first person perspective, and then made it into the subway...and realized that I was playing frickin' Fighting Force (anyone else remember that game? ^^). The got rid of the relative movement, which for me is a necessity in a game with constantly changing camera angles, and they made it so you practically -needed- to fight enemies. Screw dodging, you had to whack things with a pole. While the game was very creepy, I just haven't been able to beat it, since the gameplay reeks.
As for RPGs though...I got SaGa Frontier 2 a long time ago. It is STILL one of my favorite games, but I just can't beat the damn thing. I never really got used to the SaGa games' system of levelling up and attacking, so I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or what. I tend to be severely underlevelled when I play through most RPGs, but I think it's really detrimental in this case. It's a great game, but I just get my party killed very easily somewhere later in the game.
By the By Ouro
Australia has a population of just over 20 million, and we routinely finish
in the upper regions of the top ten in the Olympics. And I reckon we've had
a bad rep from the umpires (They're defintly favouring the BIG name teams).
And anyway Soccer has to compete with other sports like AFL (The TRUE
football), cricket, and rugby as the major sports, with baseball, and
basketball and other less recognised sports in Australia sapping people from
And anyway, I don't see you on Slow, Your not sending me back a square for
no good reason are you? Anyway Guus has done wonders for Australia, and we
certainly would not be here if it wasn't for him!
Oops this is a RPG site isn't it, umm, err, look a flying octopus. Run Away.
I asked Erika this, what would be your top teir 6 wo/man party if you could
use any RPG character?
Bainick thinks Mark Webber should go to Farrari or Reneaut, as Williams is
offering him sweet nothing!
And you just got your rear handed to you by Italy! :P Hehehehe, I kid, I kid.
I'm not standing on SLOW, but if you land on the square, I cast it on you and you move back 1-3 spaces. Now hurry up and take out Arros Raikou! Hehehehe! HATE HATE HAT...er...never mind.
Hrm....Ok, here goes:
- Orlha from Chrono Cross - She just kicked major ass. Definitely always in my party once I got her.
- Will from Illusion of Gaia - Shapeshifting, and he fights with a flute. Why not?
- Ragnar from Dragon Warrior IV - Brute force. No MP, no skills, just a sword and a desire to hack at people.
- Princess Toadstool from Super Mario RPG - Best healer out of most RPGs. Also slaps enemies.
- Aya Brea from Parasite Eve - Just so I could have a shower scene.
- Sabin from Final Fantasy VI - Blitzes. 'Nuff said.
What do you think of the upcoming Final Fantasy games? Seems many people
have recently been slamming Squeenix's shameless cash-in on FFVII, so I'm
more curious to hear what you have to say about FFXII and FFXIII.
I heard some bashing on FFXII's bizarre innovations, while others pointed to
Famitsu's review and the demo. I WAS excited for the game, and then I
played the demo. What an incredibly boring experience that was. I was
completely underwhelmed. My expectations were not incredibly high for the
game as it was, but even my most mediocre expectations were not met. The
battle system wasn't so much new and different as it was flaky and
unpolished. The dungeon designs were bland at best. The in-game graphics
harkened back to the days of PS1. FFXII screams the bore that was FFIX to
me. It's the last FF game on a dying (slowly but surely) console. The
production values are there, but the inspiration simply is not. I do
realize a demo is just that, and I'm still looking forward to the
game...just not nearly as much as I was.
On to FFXIII...Now there isn't all that much information out there right
now, but I've been very unimpressed by what I've seen so far. The heroine
looks like the child of Ashe and Yuna (FFX-2), were that anatomically
possible (maybe they went they took a trip to fetal farm, who knows?). The
dude looks the result of a congress between Cloud and Squall. Is Squeenix's
idea box really that empty that all future characters are merely rehashes of
previous heroes and heroines?
I think S-E is a business, first off. ^^
FFXII had bad graphics? I don't think so. They are at least as good as FFX. I know there are many differing opinions about the game, but seriously, there's no contest there. I think we may have to agree to disagree, 'cause I loved FFIX...heh. That said, I played the demo and enjoyed it, but I'm still not sure as to whether I will enjoy it for an entire game. It was fun, and they certainly left a ton of options out of the fighting, but I think it will get better.
Ok, their character designs aren't anything too original. We could go look at Capcom, where the characters literally look the same from Breath of Fire game to Breath of Fire game. But what are you going to do? Any blond guy you see in a game you will compare to Cloud or Tidus, and any brunette, Squall. I guarantee any of you would do that regardless of how the character really looks. Sure S-E does go with the pretty-boy route, as well as the buxom brunette route, but...eh. I consider it all to be personality. If the girl is a brooding, love-struck, anti-social weirdo, then maybe I'll get worried.
Wait, isn't this old news? Oh, wait. >_<
With the hype around the new Nintendo system, When do YOU think the system will be released. I know it's sposed to be cheaper then the 360 or PS3, but do you think they're only trying to keep up with the market? How much cheaper?
Well, Nintendo said it would be $250 or less, so I'm thinking $249. Go PR. Not only are they trying to keep up with the market, but the hardware contained within the Wii is much cheaper to manufacture than any other next-gen system, so it's really just a product of profits.
As for the release date, so far all signs are pointing to an October release. I personally can't wait...the thing can't get here soon enough. I need my Zelda!!!
Bainick casts BOLT 1!
Arros Raikou falls to space 12.
Arros Raikou casts BOLT 2!
Vicissitude falls to space 7.
Bainick moves 1 space to tile 8.
Arros Raikou moves 3 spaces to tile 15.
Vicissitude moves 2 spaces to tile 9.
Genjuu moves 1 space to tile 6.
For lower resolutions, click here
THE HOPEFULLY OUTSTANDING NEW GAME!
Or, THONG for short. For now, the prizes will be limited to Guest-Hosting opportunities, since this is essentially an experiment. I'm positive that it will turn out well, though! Now, for the setup:
This is the game board. If you ever talk to CactuarJoe, make sure to thank him for the wonderful job he did! Thanks Joe!
If you want to join: Please send me your top 3 choices for characters for your game piece. A list of them that can be used can be found here. Please only choose from the "PARTY" or "NPC" links. Also make sure that the character has a left/right-facing sprite, and a front/back facing sprite. Thanks!
- Everyone begins the game on START.
- For every letter you write in, I will roll a 3-sided die (I'll use RPGamer's resident Random Number Generator, DiceyBot). That will determine how many spaces you move.
- You may only get credit for one letter, per day - max 3 per weekend. Timestamps will be checked, and only letters sent during Friday - Monday before my column will be counted towards that weekend. Letters sent at other times during the week will not count until Saturday.
- Letters must be addressed to me, at either email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. Letters will get credit even if they are unanswered, or even if Matt answers them.
- If you land on a Spell Tile, you MUST use the spell listed on the Tile. Spells and their effects are listed after the rules.
- The Trivia Tile MUST be landed on before you may enter the FINISH Tile. Answering the trivia question correctly will automatically grant you entry into the FINISH Tile, and you will receive the prize.
- If you reach the Trivia Tile, another reader who is participating in the game will ask you a question. However, the person who lands on the Tile decides WHICH reader asks the question, as well as WHICH RPG from which the question will be asked (e.g. "Wonderslime wants Bainick to ask him a question about Chrono Trigger").
- If the person who provides the question has not played the game, they may use anything necessary to come up with a question. Failure to provide a question over 2 days of my column will result in the same effect as if the receiver answered the question right, and he/she will progress to the FINISH Tile.
- The Prize for this initial board will be 5 Guest Hosting positions. Once those are completed, a new board will be created, probably with more prizes.
- The effects will go as such. Movement->Spells Cast->Effects. Everyone will move at the same time, all spells will be cast at the same time, and all effects will happen at the same time. Attack spells will be cast at the beginning of the day after they were landed on.
Spell effects are as follows:
- Bolt 1: Player chooses another player to push back 1 tile.
- Bolt 2: Player chooses another player to push back 2 tiles.
- Stop: Player must send in a letter to lose the 'Stop' status, at which point he may send in a letter the next day to resume rolling.
- Haste: Player receives an extra roll which will make him/her advance 1-3 tiles.
- Slow: Player receives an extra roll which will make him/her retreat 1-3 tiles.
- Merton: Player chooses another player to push back 4 tiles, at the cost of Player moving back 2 tiles.
- Roulette: I roll a 20-sided die. Any players standing on that numbered tile are pushed back 2 tiles.
K, guys. Arros Raikou is smacking you all around! He even landed on Merton! Which one of you will be hit on Saturday??? ^^
Well, I had a good weekend, I hope you all did as well. Make sure to send Matt lots of letters! Take care!
***Josh blows a whistle.
22 years old! Sheesh.
June 25: Josh
June 24: Josh
June 23: Matt & Erika
June 22: Matt
About the Host
Josh's Top 3 Distractions:
1. World Cup
2. Writing a thesis a week
3. Running 8 miles
RPGs I'm currently playing:
1. Grandia III
2. Xenosaga II
3. Romancing SaGa
4. Radiata Stories
5. Wild Arms: ACF
2. Gouden Draak
15. Arros Raikou
16. The Bluick
19. Alan Tse